Thursday, March 26, 2009

Yahoo spammed me!

I was checking one of my yahoo accounts, and I got a friendly reminder from them to update to the "new, safer" version of Internet Explorer. I have been avoiding IE for many years, so I can't vouch for it being safer or newer, but here are a three things that I can think of that makes IE so much better:

  1. A closed source program allows only a select few people to view the code, and find security holes in it, because obviously the rest of humanity cannot be trusted to be as 'skilled' as the programers at Microsoft, since we all know that Vista is soo much better than Linux, right?
  2. IE supports a larger user base than firefox or opera. This is a good thing, as many web developers can program specificially for IE, and their sites do not work correctly on FF or Opera. I mean, how fun can the internet be, if you can't be guaranteed to run every virus off of it, or finding out that you were on a phished version of your bank?
  3. IE comes FREE with the purchase of any multi hundred dollar operating system, from 95 to Vista! Even better, you can use windows update to upgrade IE, instead of having to deal with Firefox's 'fancy' built in updater.
I'm also slightly upset that Yahoo got paid (atleast I hope they got paid) to send us spam. Now ofcourse Yahoo decided to add a small amount of small print, ala:

"You received this advertisement from Yahoo! because the information for the account -------------- indicates that Yahoo! may contact you about using Yahoo! for research and surfing the Web."

I'm not quite sure how advertising IE8 is considered research, and I know advertising this is anything but harmful for web surfing, considering all of the safer alternatives out there.

Also, for anyone considering complaining about me calling this 'spam', heres a thought for you. According to wikipedia:

"E-mail spam, known as unsolicited bulk Email (UBE), junk mail, or unsolicited commercial email (UCE), is the practice of sending unwanted e-mail messages, frequently with commercial content, in large quantities to an indiscriminate set of recipients."

This is spam because I definatly do not want it. It is advertising a product released by a company for their products so thusly of 'commercial content' and considering that I have never been on windows or IE with that screen name, I can only guess that this was indiscriminate.

Of course, I do have to admit that I was using an email adderss that was on a yahoo server. So they are, legally, allowed to send emails to their own servers.

Pic of the Email in question: (click to enlarge)

No comments: