Sunday, March 29, 2009

Orbiter on the launch pad.




I've been wanting to blog about this game for a while. Its called Orbiter. Orbiter is a flight simulator, but its mainly designed for flying in space. Yes, the default game comes with all of the planets and a good number of moons. Ever wonder what it'd be like to fly to Venus, or launch a satellite on a Mars? Well now you can try it out.




Not that you'll be able to really do much when you first get it, the learning curve is pretty tough. I'd recomend searching for some autopilot mods. Even someone who's been playing flight sims for years, such as myself, will still take a few hours before you can 'properly' land the shuttle.
I'd really recomend you download as many mods for the game as you can, or else you'll never be tempted to do much more than a few flights.
There are mods to increase realism, replay historic missions, or even build your own space station!
The requirememnts are pretty low (I was running a virus scan when taking the screenshots), which is good, considering you'll be running on accelerated time alot (unless you feel like waiting a year to get to mars).

I'm running my own pretend space agency, and I'm documenting it a bit. Be sure to look out for that.















Get Orbiter :

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Get Addons:

http://www.orbithangar.com/

No comments: